A great basic chicken topping for your ramen, this has a savoury-sweet flavour. Any leftover glaze can be added to your broth for extra flavour.
3 skinless boneless chicken thighs
1 tbsp. groundnut oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 spring onion, finely sliced
3 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. runny honey
4 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp. dark soy sauce (here you can substitute the liquid from the ramen egg marinade- just add two more tbsp. of light soy sauce and reduce the amount of honey slightly)
- Heat the oil in a wok and add the garlic, ginger and spring onion. Fry until aromatic.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add the soy sauces, honey and water, mix well and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and place a lid over the wok, allowing a gap for some of the steam to escape.
- Turn the chicken over every 5 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse into the meat fully. Cook this way until the liquid has reduced to a shiny, sticky glaze which clings to the meat.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing into bite size pieces and serving.